The Department of Pharmacy at the National University of Singapore (NUS) invites highly talented and motivated individuals to join the department as Teaching Assistants (TAs).
The TA will be employed under a full-time scheme for a 3-year contract. The TA shall assist the professors in developing course materials, designing and conducting practicals, grading assignments as well as answering students’ queries related to the modules. In addition, the TA may be mobilized, by the discretion of the Head of Department, for ad hoc academic or student related duties.
There are 2 positions available to be filled and suitable candidates are expected to commence duty in December 2018. One position requires the candidate to have excellent academic competence and a range of technical skills including, cell and molecular biology, microbiology, protein technology, formulation science and sterilization techniques would be useful. The second position requires the individual to have knowledge and skills of a pharmacist.
The ideal candidate should possess the following required and preferred qualifications.
Required Academic Qualification
- A Bachelor degree (with good Honours classification) majoring in pharmacy, pharmaceutical science or life science is essential. Pharmacist with entry-to-practice degrees such as M.Pharm. or Pharm.D. are also acceptable.
- A Masters or Ph.D. degree in the relevant majors are also welcome.
Preferred Personal Qualifications
- Individual having teaching experience is advantageous but not necessary as training will be provided. However, cognizance in teaching and learning pedagogies will be favourable.
- Individual with excellent communication skills is essential, particularly eloquence in speech and clarity in writing.
- Individual who is self-motivated and has a proactive work attitude will be highly regarded.
- Individual who shares aspiration in contributing to excellence in education and committing to nurture future-ready pharmacists and pharmaceutical scientist is favourable.
The Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health (SSHSPH) at the National University of Singapore (NUS) is seeking a postdoctoral research fellow to assist in a study on the use of preemptive pharmacogenotyping (PGx) in Singapore.
The objective of this study is to identify the optimal patient selection strategy and multiplex gene panel composition for cost-effective use of preemptive PGx. Results will be used to inform policy making, reimbursement decisions and communication strategies on preemptive PGx. Successful candidates will be appointed on a 12-month contract. The specific role of the Data Scientist is to apply data mining, machine learning and text analytics techniques to electronic medical records and develop automated algorithms that can identify adverse drug reactions from clinical notes.
- Develop automated algorithms that can identify adverse drug reactions from clinical notes with high accuracy
- Conduct training on data mining, machine learning and text analytics technique for other research team members without a similar background
- Prepare conference abstracts, manuscripts, presentations, etc.
- Collaborate in an inter-disciplinary team
- Possess a Master or PhD in a relevant field such as computer science, bioinformatics, operations research, biostatistics, etc
- Extensive working experience with text analytics and machine learning software such as R, Apache OpenNLP, Rapidminer, NVivo, Google Cloud Natural Language, etc is essential
- Background in health sciences is a plus
- At least 3 years of relevant working experience in text analytics
- First author publication(s) in reputable international journal(s)
The grade of appointment will be accorded based on candidate’s academic qualifications and years of relevant experience.
Applicants should send the following documents by email to Dr WEE Hwee Lin at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter highlighting career goals and relevant experience
- Curriculum Vitae, containing details of three named referees
- A complete NUS Personal Data Consent for Job Applicants (form is available at NUS Personal Data Consent for Job Applicants)
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.