BSc (Pharm) (Hons), National University of Singapore;
PhD, National University of Singapore
Department of Pharmacy, National University of Singapore
18 Science Drive 4, Singapore 117543
Tel: +65 6601 3479
Fax: +65 6779 1554
Teaching Activities in NUS
Undergraduate BSc (Pharmacy):
- PR2134/PR3122 Self Care
- PR2131/PR3137 Pharmacy Professional Development
- Programme Director of Graduate Certificate in Advanced Pharmacy Practice (APP) and Community-based Geriatric Pharmaceutical Care (CGPC)
- Faculty Director of Community Health Angels Mentoring Programme (CHAMP)
- Exploring the use of blended learning and serious games in pharmacy education
Community & Geriatric Pharmacy Practice Research
- Medication use appropriateness – psychotropics / laxatives / PPI
- Pharmaceutical care services
- Pharmacoepidemiology & medication adherence
- Patient counseling & communication skills in pharmacy practice
- Deputy Chairperson (2019 – current), Standards and Education Committee (SEC) for Foundation Programme, Ministry of Health, Singapore
- Pro Tem Workgroup Member (2015 – 2017), NPS (Pharmaceutical Care Excellence Initiatives), Ministry of Health Holdings, Singapore
- Senior Project Administrator (Pharmacy) (2013 – 2017), Part-time Professional, Director of Medical Services Office, Ministry of Health, Singapore
- Member (2013-2015), HPB MOH Clinical Practice Guidelines Workgroup for “Falls Prevention among Community Dwelling Older Adults”
- Singapore Pharmacy Council (Registered Pharmacist)
- Pharmaceutical Society of Singapore (Member)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy (Associate Member)
Community Health Angel Mentoring Programme (CHAMP)
CHAMP is a community service-learning programme developed in collaboration with our social service partner (@27 Family Service Centre) and supported by pharmacists from various health institutions. Through home visits, befriending and counseling by the participating undergraduate pharmacy student volunteers, CHAMP aims to promote social cohesiveness, intergeneration interaction, healthy aging and chronic disease management, including adherence to medication therapy among the elderly clients served.
- Mrs Tan Shook Fong – Pharmaceutical Society of Singapore (PSS) Innovation and Scientific Research Award 2017. Winning Paper: Yap KY, Yap KZ, Yap JYG, Athreya US. “Training future-ready pharmacy graduates in professional skills through games-based learning.” Presented as poster presentation at the 27th Singapore Pharmacy Congress (2017, Sep 23-24), Suntec Convention and Exhibition Centre, Singapore.
- Reimagine Education Coference & Awards 2017 (Dec 4-5, hosted by the Wharton School and QS Rankings organization at the Downtown Marriot Hotel, Philadelphia, PA, USA). Winning Paper: Yap KY, Yap KZ, Yap JYG, Athreya US. “Development and implementation of a 3D multiplayer online role-playing game for training of 21st century competencies and skills.” Presented as oral competitive and video presentation, won 3 awards out of 1041 international entries, judged by 168 judges. http://www.reimagine-education.com/reimagine-education-award-winners-2018/
- Discipline Awards: Life-sciences & Medicine, GOLD
- Regional Awards: Asia-Pacific, SILVER
- Category Awards: Vritual/Augmented Reality, SILVER
- Liew Weng Chee Scholarship (Awarded: February 2016)
- MOH Research Scholarship (Awarded: 2009 – 2011)
- JSY Yap, CWQ Tang, HML Hor, JBK Chong, KZ Yap. Process evaluation of the community pharmacist-led allergic rhinitis management (C-PhARM) service in Singapore. Pharmacy (Basel). 2019;7(2). pii: E56. doi: 10.3390/pharmacy7020056.
- YW Liau, C CHEOW, KTY Leung, H Tan, SF Low, HHM Cheen, WC Lim, LL Tan, JZY Tan, ES Lee, SJ Xu, CYK Tan, JW Phang, JK Phang, MH Lam, DV Blalock, CI Voils, KZ Yap, YH Kwan. A cultural adaptation and validation study of a self-report measure of the extent of and reasons for medication nonadherence among patients with diabetes in Singapore. Patient Preference and Adherence. 2019;13:1241-1252
- XY Lim, QQ Yeo, GLL Kng, WL Chung, KZ Yap. Validation of a drug-related problem classification system for the intermediate and long-term care setting in Singapore. Pharmacy (Basel). 2018;6(4). Pii:E109. doi: 10.3390/pharmacy6040109.
- F Ang, JE Pau, EW Koh, NKL Loh, W Yeoh, JW Liang, CB Teng, KZ Yap. Drug-related problems associated with community-dwelling older persons living alone in Singapore. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy. 2019;41(3):719-727. Doi: 10.1007/s11096-019-00813-7.
- RWX Ee, KZ Yap, KY Yap. Herbopolis – A mobile serious game to educate players on herbal medicines. Complementary Therapies in Medicine, 2018;39:68-79.
- ZW Lim, HB Ong, BK Chong, KZ Yap. Consumers’ knowledge, attitudes and practices (KAP) of pain management – An age-related comparison study on self-management in Singapore. (Abstract) Journal of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy. 2018;1(2):147-148.
- A Selcuk, CB Teng, SY Chan, KZ Yap. Antimicrobial use and drug-drug interactions among nursing home residents in Singapore: A multicentre prevalence study. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy. 2018;40(5):1044-1050.
- Q Cai, L Feng, KZ Yap. Systematic review and meta-analysis of reported adverse events of long-term intranasal oxytocin treatment for autism spectrum disorder. Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences. 2018;72(3):140-151.
- Z Banu, KK Lim, YH Kwan, KZ Yap, HT Ang, CS Tan, W Fong, J Thumboo, KH Lee, T Ostbye, LL Low. Anti-hypertensive medications and injurious falls in an older population of low socioeconomic status: A nested case-control study. BMC Geriatrics. 2018;18(1):195. doi: 10.1186/s12877-018-0871-7.
- HT Ang, KK Lim, YH Kwan, PS Tan, KZ Yap, Z Banu, CS Tan, W Fong, J Thumboo, T Ostbye, LL Low. A systematic review and meta-analyses of the association between anti-hypertensive classes and the risk of falls among older adults. Drugs & Aging. 2018;35(7):625-635.
- JSH Yap, C Tang, BK Chong, KZ Yap. Community Pharmacist-led Allergic Rhinitis Management (C-PhARM) service in Singapore. (Abstract) Journal of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy. 2018;1(2):319-320.
- T Shyamala, SF Wong, A Andiappan, KG Au Eong, AB Bakshi, D Boey, TW Chong, HP Eng, NH Ismail, TC Lau, WY Lim, HW Lim, L Seong, WC Wong , KZ Yap, S Yudah. Health Promotion Board-Ministry of Health Clinical Practice Guidelines: Falls prevention among older adults living in the community. Singapore Medical Journal, 2015;56(5):298-300.
- KY Yap, KZ Yap and JYG Yap. A gamification framework for training of patient and medications management skills. Journal of Game-Supported Interactive Learning, 2015;1(1): 47-58.
- HY Chang, LL Wong, KZ Yap and KY Yap. Gaming preferences, motivations, and experiences of pharmacy students in Asia. Games for Health Journal, 2016;5(1): 40-49.
- KZ Yap, SY Chan and JYC LEE, “PLEAD” for laxatives – development and implementation of the Pharmacist-Led Education on Appropriate Drug-use program in nursing homes. (Abstract) Pharmacotherapy, 2014;34(6): e83.
- KZ Yap, EH Kua, SY Chan and JYC Lee. Improving the Appropriateness of Antipsychotic Prescribing for Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia (BPSD): A Pilot Study of the Psychotropic Use Monitoring (PUM) Program. Open Journal of Psychiatry, 2014;4: 153-162.
- KZ Yap and SY Chan. “Role of antpsychotics for treating behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia”. World Journal of Pharmacology, 2014;3(4): 174-185.
- 27th Singapore Pharmacy Congress (23-24 September 2017, Singapore). Invited Day 1 Symposium Speaker: Transforming virtual to reality – More than meets the students’ eye.
- 27th Singapore Pharmacy Congress (23-24 September 2017, Singapore). Invited Day 2 Symposium Speaker: Learning to serve and serving to learn – The Community Health Angels Mentoring Program (CHAMP).
- 25th Singapore Pharmacy Congress (12-13 September 2015, Singapore)
Invited Podium Presentation: What can community pharmacists do for patients with allergic rhinitis?
- Annual Singapore Conference on Ageing (ASCA) (10 May 2012, Singapore)
Invited Podium Presentation: Psychotropic Use Monitoring [PUM] for nursing home patients.
- Ruth Smalley & Desmond Ng. “Language of the heart” (video; 253k views & 2.7k shares). CNA Insider. October 4, 2017. Available at: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/cnainsider/more-young-singaporeans-signing-up-for-dialect-classes-9249766
- Samantha Boh. “NUS students help seniors age well at home”. Straits Times. B1. March 20, 2017. Available at: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/nus-students-help-seniors-age-well-at-home
- 邓华贵. “国大开发新教材. 药剂系学生电玩里救人”. 联合早报. October 5, 2016. Available at: http://www.zaobao.com.sg/news/singapore/story20161005-674039
- 邓华贵. “国大开发新教材. 药剂系学生电玩里救人”. 联合早报. October 5, 2016. Available at: http://www.zaobao.com.sg/znews/singapore/story20161004-673960
- R Hardasmalani. “Watsons offers free allergy consultations aroung S’pore”. Today. April 20, 2016. Available at: http://www.todayonline.com/business/watsons-offers-free-allergy-consultations-around-spore
- P Toh. “Allergic rhinitis patients are bad at taking their intranasal corticosteroids, a Singapore-based study shows”. MIMS Respirology News. May 12, 2016. Available at: http://news.mims.com/topic/allergic-rhinitis-patients-are-bad-at-taking-their-intranasal-corticosteroids–a-singapore-based-study-shows?country=singapore&channel=respirology&topicgrouper=news