Teaching Activities in NUS
- PR2104 Pharmaceutical Analysis I
- PR3104 Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
- PR3144 Principles of Research Methods
- PR4103 Research Methodology
- PR5122 Molecular Targets in Drug Discovery
Prof. Victor Yu obtained his B.Sc. Pharm. from University of Houston and Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry from School of Pharmacy, University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) where he spent five years to study molecular pharmacology of morphine.
He subsequently undertook post-doctoral training in molecular biology at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) at University of California, San Diego (UCSD). During this period, he made the discovery that the nuclear receptor protein RXR is the common co-regulator for retinoic acid (Vitamin A), vitamin D and thyroid hormone receptors. The discovery paved the way for rapid progress in understanding the molecular basis of the pleiotropic effect of nuclear hormones on gene transcription in multiple organs and cell types.
He came to Singapore in 1993 to join the Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (IMCB) as a Principal Investigator. In 2009, he joined the Department of Pharmacy, NUS, as tenured Associate Professor.
Prof. Yu’s research interest is in identifying and characterizing several critical protein molecules in the mitochondrial apoptosis signaling pathway. Currently, his lab is focusing on characterizing the physiological and pathological roles of the Bax-binding protein MOAP-1 and its family of proteins in liver (hepatocytes) and brain (neurons) using combined genetic, biochemical and cell biology approaches.
He has recently secured another 1.3 million grant from NMRC to support his research programme on MOAP-1.
- Bcl-2 family of proteins
- Mitochondrial Cell Death Mechanisms
- Mitochondrial dynamics
- Drug Discovery
- Novel Compounds and Uses Thereof (2013)
- Rhodanine-based Pan-Bcl-2 Inhibitors and Mcl-1-Specific Inhibitors as Anti-cancer Compounds (2009)
- Tenured Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacy, National University of Singapore (August 2009 to date)
- MinJiang Scholar Chair Professor, School of Life Sciences, Xiamen University (January 2012 to December 2014)
- Principal Investigator, Associate Professor, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology (2001 to August 2009)
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacology, NUS (2001 to October 2009)
- Principal Investigator, Senior ScientistInstitute of Molecular and Cell Biology (1993 to 2000)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, San Diego (1989 to 1993)
- Leukemia Society of America Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1989 to 1992
- UCSF Regents Fellow, 1985 to 1986
- Rho Chi Society National Scholarship, 1986 to 1987