BSc (Pharm) (Hons), National University of Singapore
PhD, National University of Singapore
Department of Pharmacy, National University of Singapore
18 Science Drive 4, Singapore 117543
Tel: +65 6601 3977
Fax: +65 6779 1554
Teaching Activities in NUS
- PR1110 Foundations for Medicinal Chemistry (practicals)
- PR3101/PR2115 Principles of Medicinal Chemistry (practicals)
- PR3101 Pharmaceutical Analysis II
- Drug discovery
- Multidrug resistance in cancer
- Structural analysis of membrane proteins
My research interest in drug discovery revolves around the synthesis, structural-activity relationships and evaluation of new chemical entities in vitro and in vivo. In particular, I am interested in the identification and development of novel modulators of ABC transporters that can reverse multidrug resistance in cancer cells. Another area of interest lies in the use of advanced biophysical techniques to study and characterize ABC transporters and other eukaryotic membrane proteins involved in aging and diseases, with the goal of mapping the local and global conformational changes of the ABC proteins during the catalytic cycle.
- Chufan EE, Sim HM, Ambudkar SV. Molecular basis of the polyspecificity of P-glycoprotein (ABCB1): recent biochemical and structural studies. Adv Cancer Res. 2015; 125:71-96.
- Sim HM, Bhatnagar J., Chufan E., Kapoor K., Ambudkar SV. Conserved Walker A Cysteines 431 and 1074 in Human P-glycoprotein Are Accessible to Thiol-Specific Agents in the Apo and ADP-Vanadate Trapped Conformations. Biochemistry. 2013; 52:7327-38.
- Chufan EE, Kapoor K, Sim HM, Singh S, Talele TT, Durell SR, Ambudkar SV. Multiple transport-active binding sites are available for a single substrate on human P-glycoprotein (ABCB1). PLoS One. 2013; 8:e82463.
- Wu CP, Sim HM, Huang YH, Hsiao SH, Cheng HW, Li YQ, Ambudkar SV, Hsu SC. Overexpression of ATP-Binding Cassette Transporter ABCG2 as a Potential Mechanism of Acquired Resistance to Vemurafenib in BRAF (V600E) Mutant Cancer Cells. Biochem Pharmacol. 2013, 85:325-34.
- Sim HM, Wu CP, Ambudkar SV, Go ML: In vitro and in vivo modulation of ABCG2 by functionalized aurones and structurally related analogs. Biochem. Pharmacol. 2011, 82: 1562-1571.
- Kapoor K, Sim HM, Ambudkar SV: Multidrug Resistance in Cancer: A Tale of ABC Drug Transporters. Edited by Bonavida B. New York, Springer, 2013, pp. 1-34.
- Patel A, Wang DS, Sim HM, Ambudkar SV, Chen ZS: ABC Transporter Modulatory Drugs from Marine Sources: A New Approach to Overcome Drug Resistance in Cancer. Edited by Efferth T. New York, Springer, 2014, pp. 183-208.