Changing Paradigm in Bladder Cancer Diagnosis and Surveillance
Professor Eric Chan has been collaborating with Professor Kesavan Esuvaranathan and Professor Edmund Chiong from the Department of Urology, National University Health System (NUHS), on bladder cancer biomarker research since 2006. The early diagnosis and surveillance of bladder cancer is clinically important as the malignancy is treatable but highly recurrent. The team was the first to report the noninvasive urinary metabonomic diagnosis of bladder cancer using gas chromatography time-of-flight mass spectrometry.1 As the leading group working on urinary metabonomics, the team further published a protocol paper on global urinary metabolic profiling procedures using gas chromatography mass spectrometry which is highly cited and adopted by scientists worldwide.2 Subsequently, the team applied two-dimensional gas chromatography time-of-flight mass spectrometry for the urinary metabolic phenotyping (metabotyping) of bladder cancer and reported on its perturbed trptophan-kynurenine metabolic axis.3
Currently, the team is pursuing the clinical validation of the perturbed metabolic axis in collaboration with the Department of Urology, Yokohama University Hospital. Understanding such metabolic dysregulation is important for the development of diagnostic biomarker and new therapies for the clinical management of bladder cancer. The project is funded by the NUHS Global Collaboration Centre Grant.
More information on the application of metabonomics in bladder cancer can be found in the review article and editorial.4,5
- KK Pasikanti, K Esuvaranathan, PC Ho, R Mahendran, R Kamaraj, QH Wu, E Chiong and ECY Chan*. Noninvasive urinary metabonomic diagnosis of human bladder cancer. Journal of Proteome Research 9 (2010) 2988-2995.
- ECY Chan*, KK Pasikanti and JK Nicholson. Global urinary metabolic profiling procedures using gas chromatography mass spectrometry. Nature Protocols 6 (October 2011) 1483-1499.
- KK Pasikanti, K Esuvaranathan,Y Hong, PC Ho, R Mahendran, LRN Mani, E Chiong and ECY Chan*. Urinary metabotyping of bladder cancer using two-dimensional gas chromatography time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Journal of Proteome Research 12 (September 2013) 3865-3873.
- ECY Chan*, KK Pasikanti, Y Hong, PC Ho, R Mahendran, LRN Mani, E Chiong and K Esuvaranathan*. Metabonomic profiling of bladder cancer. Journal of Proteome Research 14 (February 2015) 587-602.
- YJ Hong, K Esuvaranathan, KK Pasikanti and ECY Chan*. Metabonomic diagnosis of bladder cancer – what are the advantages and considerations? Bioanalysis 7 (November 2015) 2727-2729.